Friday 1 July 2016

Afternoon Tea at Fortnum & Mason- Alice Through the Looking Glass



London is well known for its scrumptious afternoon tea hot spots, so why not stop at Fortum and Mason for an afternoon treat?! I have heard such wonderful things about F&M and I was intrigued to see the new Disney’s Alice Through the Looking Gass display, which was to celebrate the release of the new movie, the shop front has been temporarily transformed into an Alice-themed extravaganza and it did not disappoint!


The display felt like a combination of  Lewis Carroll’s classic fantasy and adventure tale of Alice, with a hint of Burton’s unique and quirky style.


As we made our way to the 4th floor for the Diamond Jubliee Tea Salon I noticed that they had displayed the original props and costumes from the production (I asked as I was curious). There was a VERY dramatic suspended Alice, falling in her original costume from the film, through the length of the four-storey Atrium at the centre of the store.



Upon entering the tea salon my first impressions were how beautiful, bright and spacious the tea room was. The staff were warm and friendly and we were told from the beginning that we were to order to our heart's content :). There were various types of sandwiches, pastries and cakes all served with your choice from Fortnum's exquisite teas or coffees. There was even a seperate vegetarian menu which I thought was a nice touch for all the veggies out there.

 

If I am being quite frank, I didn't find the service to be that great initially. I waited around 40 minutes to receive my tea and then a further 15-20 minutes before I had a chance to eat my mini sanwiches, which I only received because my friend asked why it was taking so long (I think they forgot). The waiter was such a lovely guy (wish I knew his name) and he really did try to make up to us as my friend was getting impatient with staff.

 

When we were all done, our delights continued with a take-home box of the pastries we were too full to consume and an additional slice of each of the cakes we had ordered. Lets just say, I was a happy bunny by the time I left.

xSx

No comments:

Post a Comment